Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sunday as a Family

I am working from home today, Kayden has officially come down with the flu that his brother had that last two days and his sister had last week. Troy also got the flu and stayed home with the kids yesterday, so today is my day to stay home. Hopefully now we will be through with this, it seems that everyone has had their turn but me.........which I really don't need a turn. :)

We had a great Sunday together as a family. We are always so busy on weekends going places, having people over, etc. This last Sunday we just spent the day as a family which was well needed after a busy holiday weekend.

The first thing the boys did after getting up was got dressed in their Bear's jerseys for "football day". We love football in this house! Then they went out on the front lawn and played for a little bit together.

Then we took all of our Thanksgiving and Fall decorations down around the inside and outside of the house and got all the storage tubs full of the Christmas decorations out. We took a quick break for lunch and then started hanging our Christmas lights up on the outside of the house. The boys each got to take a turn climbing up the ladder to take dad a strand of lights.

Then when that was finished we came inside and put the tree up and all the inside decorations. The decorations below have become a new tradition in our family. It is ceramic Santa and Mrs. Clause that my mom painted the first year her and my dad were married. A couple of years ago when she was going through her Christmas decorations she was throwing away some of the older stuff and adding new. When I walked by the garbage bag and saw these two figurines in the garbage I about died. My mom laughed at me and said they were old and not "in style" anymore. I didn't care......we had these figurines out every Christmas of my life, they had just become a tradition and I couldn't believe she was getting rid of them. So mom said I could have them and start a tradition on having them around every Christmas at our house. So even though they may not be "in style" they hold a much more important and special meaning.
The boys insisted on helping dad carry the recliner downstairs so we had room for the tree. They did it "all by themselves" and they were pretty proud.The kids had a great time helping put out all the decorations and trimming the tree.
Dad loving on Hummer......I got a big kick out of this picture. Dad is getting pretty close to the dog that "He didn't want!" :)
We got a lot accomplished and had such a fun day together. At the end of the day after all the kids were in bed. Troy and I were sitting on the couch watching the Sunday night football game together and I looked over at the tree and just started laughing. We got so busy earlier that I didn't have the time to notice, but all the decorations on the tree were in the same spot and at about the same height, where the kids could reach. Being the dork that I am I so badly wanted to go and fix it, but after Troy and I talked about it we decided that it couldn't be "more perfect". It showed that our kids helped us and we couldn't change something they were so proud of.



5 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't believe that you got Mr. & Mrs. Clause.
NOT FAIR! Shouldn't we do rock, paper, scissors or something?
I love those things.
:)
I am glad that you have them. So much meaning a tradition.

Love you.

~L said...

That's so cool...first that something your mother made holds such special meaning for you! And, that you didn't totally redo the tree...I'm not sure I'd be able to resist just moving something every once inawhile. I'm terrible. Love all the pictures and your journaling. Miss seeing you and hearing from you! Lois

Cederberg Family said...

I love those figurines! I am glad she didn't throw them away! They will be fun for your kids to enjoy! I love your decoations! I told Gary we should hang up lights, and he laughed at me. So I guess that isn't happening!

Sarah Stokes said...

What a good mom you are - leaving your tree the way they left it! My kids are only allowed to hang a few and only where I specifically tell them - I guess that is that dang anal side rearing its ugly head. Way to score on your mom's figurines by the way...

The McBride Bunch said...

Hi Jen-
I have sent you a few emails. I am not sure if you are getting them but could you let me know? I just sent one tonight that I would love a response to!
Your tree looks SO cute-one for the books!
Lis